Be passionate, and enthusiastic, in the direction you choose in life... and you'll be a winner! -Steve Irwin

Thursday, February 10, 2011

10lbs for 10 miles - Daypacks


Quite often I find myself planning day trips and suggesting certain gear, clothing, etc., that people should take along with them to make their journey safer and more enjoyable. I’d like to tell you a little about proper daypack packing and weight distribution for each person on any wilderness trek.

First of all, each person should have their own lightweight daypack. You could even use your child’s backpack from school if need be, as long as it’s comfortable. When my family goes out hiking we all have our own packs, it helps to distribute weight mostly, but I have also found that
it gives kids more responsibility and a bigger sense of adventure too.

I would advise everyone to keep a close eye on not only how much weight goes into the pack, but the weight of the actual pack itself too. Most children’s school backpacks weigh in around 1 - 2 pounds, my guide pack weighs in a 4.2 lbs (with nothing in it, because it‘s bigger than most daypacks). Most people are pretty comfortable carrying about 15% of their total body weight, you can comfortably carry 25% in a well designed backpack over long distances. For kids, I’d say no more than 15% though. So for my 50 lb. son, I would put no more than 7.5 lbs. on his back, including food and water. (Or I would certainly hear about it a mile down the trail.)

Don’t think of it as everyone carrying just their own stuff though. Often times I’ll carry most of the water (which weighs the most usually) and the kids will carry some snacks, rain gear, maps, etc., to keep their weight down. The youngest person should carry the least weight and the most fit, or conditioned, should carry the most.

Don’t underestimate how heavy 10 lbs. will feel after 10 miles, especially if you’re wearing a poorly designed pack. Make sure the straps are snug so the pack sits as high on your back as possible. When packing up be sure to put the heaviest items nearest your back and high center of the pack if you can. I personally will even strap some things to the top of my pack to make it more balanced and comfortable.


Use the center strap if you have one, if not, a couple of carabiners and a short piece of rope will do to help hold the shoulder straps tight and higher up on your shoulders. Choose a pack that fits correctly. My eight year old son would struggle to carry my 4lb pack due to its size and bulkiness.

If you have a scale, use it. Find out how much your pack weighs, then weigh other items you put in it, giving you an accurate weight of each “loaded” pack. Being comfortable on the trail is important and it all starts with your pack.

Comfort = good times

Here's a link for some great Kid Size Gear TinyTrekker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment